We were at the Bonjour Perth festival in Subiaco on Saturday. A very fun event with French food and entertainment and even this French bookstore in a bus. Selling mostly educational and children’s books in French, the bus seems to be Perth-based. But for November the bus will be at various locations on the east coast of Australia, including at Wagga Wagga NSW this Saturday (Oct 28) and Canberra on Sunday.
On an exterior wall at Stationers Hall (previous post), there is a plaque commemorating the first printing press in Fleet Street, although Wynkyn de Worde’s press was actually 350 metres away in Shoe Lane next to St Bride’s churchyard. Wynkyn de Worde who was a native of Holland, and an apprentice of Thomas Caxton, set up his own press in 1501.
Next to St Martin within Ludgate (previous post) is the Stationers Hall. This 19th century building is on the site of an earlier building which became the headquarters of the Worshipful Company of Stationers and Newspaper Makers in 1606. From 1557, this guild regulated the publishing industry including printers, bookbinders and booksellers. It operated the Stationers’ Register which listed publications and provided an early form of copyright.
As well as Boswell (previous post), there are quite a few literary connections to St Martins within Ludgate, including with Charles Dickens and Shakespeare.
In “Little Dorritt”, Arthur Clenham, sitting in a coffee house on Ludgate Hill on Sunday evening, hears the church bells ring out.
William Shakespeare had his winter theatre just a few streets away.
And “I owe you three farthings say the bells of St Martins”, from the old “Oranges and Lemons” nursery rhyme could be referring to St Martin within Ludgate which did have a ring of five bells, of which one now remains on display in the church.
Tomorrow (18 October) is the birthday of James Boswell, the famous 18th century biographer. His biography of Samuel Johnson is thought by many to be the greatest biography written in the English language.
Boswell was a regular at church services in St Martin within Ludgate, a Wren church that survived WWII mainly undamaged.