We recently visited Harvey House in the grounds of King Edward Memorial Hospital in Subiaco. This very interesting museum covers the history of medicine in WA from colonial times. In 1916, Harvey House became Perth’s first public hospital for women, so the first room in the museum shows a typical end of 18th century bedroom birth scene with a midwife who probably had little training. In same room is a labour ward from the period when the hospital first opened.
Among the interesting publications on display in the museum is this one titled “Our Babies” which looks like May Gibbs may have done the illustrations for the front cover.