The area surrounding Russell Square is closely associated with the Bloomsbury Group, that collection of writers, philosophers and artists that was so influential in the first half of the 20th century. The poet, T.S. Eliot, was on the periphery of this group with Virginia and Leonard Woolf publishing his poem “The Waste Land” in 1923.
T.S Eliot’s later poems were published by Faber and Faber, the company where he also worked as an editor. Faber and Faber were located in a building, on the north western corner of Russell Square, which is now part of the University of London.