About 50m away from the Cockpit pub (see previous post) there is an old stone wall that is all that remains visible of the Blackfriars Priory that was established here in the 13th century. In 1538, at the Dissolution of the monasteries, the priory was closed.
In 1608, Shakespeare with colleagues, purchased a theatre that had been established in one of the former priory buildings. The theatre was almost directly opposite the Globe Theatre on the other bank of the Thames. The Blackfriars Theatre though, had a roof and could be used for performances in winter.