From 1843 until his death, Flaubert lived and worked in his home at Croisset just a few kilometres out of Rouen. The main house has now gone, but the sunny pavilion overlooking the Seine is open to the public as a Flaubert museum.
In the grounds of Flaubert’s Pavilion there is one particularly interesting feature. Beneath the trees there is a stone covered pathway, along which he used to walk when seeking inspiration for his writing.
The pavilion is open to visitors on Saturday and Sunday afternoons in the summer.