Australia’s other favourite bush poet, Henry Lawson, also has a plaque on the Sydney Writers Walk at Circular Quay. He is also remembered with an impressive but little noticed statue in the section of the Domain near Mrs Macquarie’s Chair on the eastern side of the Royal Botanic Gardens.
Henry Lawson spent most of his adult life in Sydney. It was not a happy life as he was poor, and often drunk and suffering from mental illness. But when he died in September 1922, he was given a NSW state funeral.
The statue of the poet was erected in 1927, is by sculptor George Lambert, and was paid for by public donations.